All College Park Scholars begin their college experience by completing a day of community service. A Scholars tradition that is 25 years old, Service Day reflects our commitment to service and the importance of community, two of our founding values.
Ultimately, students get a chance to bond with new classmates and faculty and staff in their Scholars program while making a difference in nearby communities.
Due to limitations from the COVID-19 pandemic, freshmen starting in fall 2020 will participate in #ScholarsServes activities virtually and throughout the fall rather than Service Day.
Service Day Meals
Pick up your breakfast and lunch on the morning of Service Day before you meet your group.
- If you are a student living in a residence hall, you will pick up a breakfast and boxed lunch at the North Campus Diner, unless you pre-ordered a kosher meal.
- If you are a commuter or you ordered a kosher meal, you will pick up a breakfast and boxed lunch outside of Cumberland Hall, at the check-in tables on the Cambridge Community quad.
What to Bring
In all instances, please check site-specific requirements below.
- Wear your Scholars t-shirt (which you will pick up at Playfair) and clothes that can get dirty
- Wear closed-toe shoes (no sandals, flip flops, high heels or Crocs)
- No sleeveless shirts, tank tops or shirts that expose midriff
- Bring water in reusable water bottle
- Bring allergy or other medications, if appropriate
- Consider wearing or bringing sunscreen and insect repellant, if your site is outdoors
- A backpack to keep lunch and water is recommended