As a Peer Mentor, you will serve as a resource for first-year Scholars as they navigate through the academic challenges associated with college experience. Peer Mentors check in with their mentees throughout the academic year and direct them to resources available on campus that can enrich their academic performance.
What is the role of a Peer Mentor?
- Provide information about academics and involvement opportunities to mentees and direct them to student support services on campus.
- Help mentees evaluate educational choices and encourage them to share concerns and goals.
- Act as a liaison between the students in their Scholars program and faculty and staff.
What are the expectations of Peer Mentors?
- Participate in Peer Mentor Training and other mentor development opportunities.
- Correspond with mentees during the summer to welcome them to UMD and Scholars.
- Participate in Playfair and serve as a Team Leader on Service Day.
- Promote responsible decision-making for their mentees.
- Attend periodic meetings with fellow program Mentors and their Peer Mentor captain.
- Foster positive relationships with their mentees by assisting in the planning and promoting of Peer Mentors initiatives and events.
Apply to be a Peer Mentor or Captain
For Captain Applicants: If you are not selected as a Captain, you will automatically be considered for a Peer Mentor position.