Scholars in Action
Founded by Science and Global Change alumni with a passion for service and community engagement, Scholars in Action (SIA) organizes, leads and implements community service projects on campus and in the greater College Park area.
As a volunteer, program representative or student leader for SIA, you will have the opportunity to serve the community, strengthen your sense of belonging within Greater College Park and get to know other students from across Scholars.
Volunteers may join for any and all service initiatives in which SIA is involved. We also rely on program representatives, who act as the bridge between SIA and each Scholars program. Program representatives:
- Attend our general body meetings on Zoom. Our meetings are typically every other week; however, we do ask for some flexibility when we are organizing multiple projects.
- Communicate with your Scholars program peers about upcoming SIA service events.
- Attend and assist in some of the online service projects we host.
- Coordinate with your program director and explore potential service projects specific to your program (especially in programs with service requirements).
How to Get Involved
Scholars in Action is open to any current Scholars student or undergraduate Scholars alum.
To become a volunteer and be notified of our service events, fill out this volunteer form.
SIA is still seeking representatives for the following programs:
- Global Public Health
- International Studies
- Justice and Legal Thought
- Life Sciences
- Media, Self, and Society
- Public Leadership
- Science, Discovery, and the Universe
- Science and Global Change
- Science, Technology and Society
Virtual Technology Literacy Workshop – More information to come.
Technology Literacy Workshop, February 2020
On a Saturday in February, Science, Technology and Society students, in coordination with Scholars in Action and the City of College Park, assisted members of the College Park community with questions about their technological devices. This was the fourth Tech Literacy Workshop hosted by Scholars in Action.
College Park Day, October 2019
Scholars in Action volunteers assisted the City of College Park at its annual College Park Day at the College Park Aviation Museum. Volunteers helped with set-up, facilitated different arts & crafts activities during the day and supported clean-up.
Sentinel Swamp Cleanup at Good Neighbor Day, April 2019
On Good Neighbor Day 2019, Scholars students and Scholars in Action student leaders took to the Sentinel Swamp area by the College Park Metro Station to remove invasive plants and plant native plants.
You can reach the student leaders of Scholars in Action at email@example.com.