- Last Updated on Tuesday May 21, 2013
18th Annual Service Day, Thursday, August 29, 2013
Service Day is one of the hallmark events you will experience while in College Park Scholars. It provides an opportunity for those affiliated with the University of Maryland, area community partners, and other organizations to work together, demonstrating the value of community service activities. During Service Day, faculty, staff and student leaders join the incoming Scholars' class to engage in service with the communities near the University of Maryland.
Service Day is a very important opportunity for new students to:
- Get to know and work with other students in their Scholars program;
- Become acquainted with the faculty and staff in College Park Scholars and the University of Maryland;
- Begin their journey as a College Park Scholar, where learning does not just happen in the classroom, but happens through teamwork and real life experiences; and
- Make a difference in neighboring communities through service.
2013 Service Day Schedule (subject to change)
- 9:00 - 9:15 a.m. Breakfast; students gather by program outside of Cambridge Community Center
- 9:15 - 9:45 a.m. Programs check in, gather lunches, walk to Comcast Center parking lot
- 9:45 a.m. Buses depart Comcast Center parking lot
- 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. Arrive back on-campus
Preparing for Service Day
Below are some things to know that can help you in preparing for the day.
Health and Safety
Complete and return the consent and release forms indicating any medical/health conditions (available summer 2013). You should include any medical/health conditions that would impede your ability to safely perform certain tasks on the UM consent and release form. Check your program page to determine if an extra consent form for your site is also required. A parent signature is required for students who are younger than 18.
- Wear your College Park Scholars T-Shirt that you will receive at Scholars Convocation.
- Dress comfortably in clothing (e.g., shorts/long pants, shoes) that you do not mind getting dirty. (Reminder for students moving onto campus: be sure to pack some old clothes for Service Day.) In some cases, service sites will indicate whether you should bring any additional clothing items. It is advisable that you do not wear jewelry.
- Wear closed-toe shoes, preferably old sneakers (that you do not mind getting dirty). Bring sunscreen, bug spray, a hat, and extra water if your site is outside. Be sure to bring any medications you may need for allergies.
- Double check your program page, for more site specific clothing requirements under "Things to Bring."
Service Day Lunch
- Students living in the residence halls AND commuters will eat a light breakfast and pick-up a box lunch and water bottle at the Cambridge Community Center. Be sure to bring your meal card so that the appropriate amount of points can be deducted.
- Kosher lunches - Those students who pre-ordered kosher lunches on their consent forms will pick them up at the Cambridge Community Center.
For more information about Service Day, please contact:
1121 Cumberland Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742